(Redirected from User:Tantek
Tantek Çelik is the co-founder of IndieWebCamp and works on open web standards at Mozilla.
I'm collecting requests from IRC here when they're something I can't handle quickly and immediately. Roughly FIFO, feel free to re-arrange if you have reasons to suggest a specific prioritization
my indie web setup
In general I treat silos as building blocks for my own indie web architecture. They're just another [LEGO] brick in the wall as it were.
However there are some content types that I still post to silos, and am using a PESETAS architecture with two destinations as a stopgap / copying mechanism.
My hope is that by aggregating my silo posting into just two destinations like that, especially Tumblr with a microformats2 supporting theme, that as I add support for content types like photos, video, metrics, jams to my own site, it will be easier to port over past content to my site for historical reference.
Silos I'm using without a copy destination:
- Foursquare - I treat my Foursquare checkins as semi-private to friends on that silo, and thus I don't have a public PESETAS setup for it. I'm hoping to skip the PESETAS/PESOS step with checkins and implement native checkins directly on my site, and POSSE them out to Foursquare (as Ben Werdmuller does with idno).
- PBWorks - I have a wiki (AKA PBWiki) hosted there via redirect URL of http://tantek.com/w/ - and again, hope to skip the PESETAS/PESOS step and directly switch to wiki pages on my own site.
my indie web projects
Stuff I've written to advance the Indie Web (and runs live on tantek.com) some of which you may be able to re-use hopefully for your own IndieWeb site!
need help with
Things I'm either stuck on or have been unable to make progress on.
RelMeAuth PHP library
The RelMeAuth PHP library broke at some point, likely due to Twitter's front-end website changes, maybe t.co encoding people's URLs. I haven't had a chance to work on fixing it.
Here is my demo deployment:
And the open source on GitHub
Any help would be awesome! The open source on GitHub has everything you need to deploy a test demo deployment like my own in case you want to try fixing it and testing it with a complete demo UI.
Things I'm working on for IndieWebCamp and my own site. As well as Itches.
Personal indieweb site functionality (adding to tantek.com) using my own personal content publishing software Falcon
- fix location wiki page definition, add h-entry p-location h-geo p-latitude (p-longitude) example markup
- create geo-tagging wiki article with at least a stub and link to location
- document IndieWebCamp 2014 Cambridge demos similar to 2014/UK/Demos
- process h-card#Issues - blocking several indieweb community member personal use-cases
- read Open Source, Teamin' Up, The Stack, and Looking Forward (including comments) and:
- expand invitation based on brainstorm in IRC re: POSSEing, backfeeding, proxying etc.
- Document using dated permalinks (from IRC) for both archive.org search enabling (recovering 404d links), and longevity, perhaps on permalink design.
- Add slides, video, etc. links of PdF IndieWeb talk to https://pdf14.hackpad.com/Save-the-Internet-Keynotes-Zb58Z1QFrJq
- IndieWebCamp 2014 NYC - blogging about it afterwards.
- CASSIS - update all NewBase60 code to be cc0 (it's good enough, and Will Norris needs it for his Go port!)
- projects - continue significant update per projects#About_This_Page
- reply vs comments - split reply permalink vs. comments display under a post.
- link-preview - something standard for silos to implement (in addition to all their variant site-specific approaches) when providing link previews of my permalinks
- 2013/UK/Indiemark - complete updating IndieMark accordingly
- code-of-conduct - fairly done, worth reviewing/iterating periodically. Keeping here in this list until indiewebcamp shows consistent diverse participation.
- review and simplify comments presentation display to remove conditionals that overlap/wrap in odd places (collected 2014-049)
- add some test examples for ellipsizing here: https://github.com/tantek/cassis/issues/14 (collected 2014-049)
And these too which need to get integrated by priority order into Falcon Working On / Itches sections:
- citation UI - to provide simple copy/paste UI for citing posts (articles (done), notes, other) from my site.
- webactions - to achieve and exceed UX parity with Twitter's UI on notes on my own site
- wiki - I'd like to implement static-file based wiki-like editing/versioning functionality on the static pages on my site, perhaps with explicit "save" edits posted to my updates as d - diff, edit, change posts.
Other community projects that I contribute to to help enable the Indie Web and everyone owning their own data.
I used to contribute to these too:
- http://activitystrea.ms/ - formats for sharing "activities", largely defunct except for a low value mailing list (google group). See ActivityStreams on this wiki for latest thinking.
- http://federatedsocialweb.net/ - community/forum for discussing how to federate among indie web (and other) sites. Started a slow death after W3C took it over. Now just a noisy W3C mailing list populated mostly by armchair architects.
I am comfortable with the following indieweb creator skills:
- information architecture (taxonomy, hierarchy)
- URL design
- interaction design
I am working on learning better:
- visual design
want to work especially with
- visual designers - especially those who have an indieweb presence and want to discuss coding and information architecture improvements.
- UX designers - can never work with too many UX folks.
- good writers/bloggers
- type nerds. who doesn't?
Things I feel like I've figured out pretty well, have shipped on my own site, can depend on, and am available to help explain to others.