Posts about the IndieWeb
📡 Welcome to news about the IndieWeb where recent notable articles about the IndieWeb are cited and linked to keep you up to date.
Want a weekly digest that covers the state of indie web? Something that can end up in your inbox?
- Subscribe to: this-week-in-the-indieweb
Want to watch a talk about the IndieWeb?
Check out the news page for links to more sources of IndieWeb news.
Articles about the IndieWeb (in reverse chronological order)
- 2016-06-22 Paul Ford (New Republic) Reboot the World
- 2016-06-09 Grant Burningham (Newsweek) Building the First Amendment Into the Web and Other Hopes for the Internet’s Future
- 2016-05-21 uranther: IndieWebCamp and #ownyourdata #ownyouridentity
- 2016-05-20 Colin Devroe: Owning my words and photos and audio bits
- 2016-05-19 Jeremy Keith: Owning my words
- 2016-04-23 Eoghann Irving: Bridging the Gap Between Your Blog and Social Media
- 2016-04-17 Eoghann Irving: Silos, Webmentions and the Challenge of Owning Your Own Content
- 2016-03-15 Benjamin Kerensa: Closed silo challenges to an open web
- 2016-02-18 Scott Gilbertson: Remember WordPress' Pingbacks? The W3C wants us to use them across the whole web
- 2016-02-11 Barry McGee: Embracing the IndieWeb
- 2016-01-31 Calum Ryan: Taking part in the IndieWeb: Introducing the principles of IndieWeb and how you can take part through IndieWebCamps and Homebrew Website Clubs
- 2016-01-29 Manton Reece: Micropub and the Quiet IndieWebCamp Revolution
- 2016-01-20 Dave Winer: Anywhere but Medium
- 2016-01-19 Mary Jasch: Should You Quit Blogging? (Own your data)
- 2015-11-11 Benjamin Melançon Marking up Drupal's blog posts for the IndieWeb
- 2015-10-18 Fredrik Wass Har Facebook låst in oss för gott? (Swedish post)
- 2015-10-02 Calum Ryan Slides from indieweb talk are up re: 2015-10-01 "The IndieWeb" presentation given @CodeHarbour (slides, need video/notes).
- 2015-09-18 Pelle Wessman Den oberoende sociala webben 2015 (Swedish post)
- 2015-09-18 David Shanske Trying to Explain the Indieweb
- 2015-08-16 Daniel Demmel Indiewebify yourself
- 2015-08-12 Tantek Çelik An Alphabet of IndieWeb Building Blocks: Article to Z
- 2015-08-03 Lance Coyote How IndieWeb Makes Comments (a little) Better
- 2015-07-17 Amber Case Why we all need to make the Internet fun again
- 2015-07-14 Jeremy Keith IndieWebCamp Brighton 2015
- 2015-07-12 Jeena Paradies IndieWebCamp 2015
- 2015-05-10 Johannes Dachsel IndieWebCamp in Düsseldorf
- 2015-05-10 Bastian Allgeier IndieWeb
- 2015-05-09 Tino Kremer Why I write on my own site first
- 2015-04-29 Audrey Watters Reclaim Your Domain (With Known)
- 2015-03-29 Matthias Pfefferle Rise of the IndieWeb (German)
- 2015-01-22 http://atomicules.co.uk/2015/01/22/Indieweb.html
- 2015-01-16 Kevin Marks: We Like IndieWeb Software
- 2014-11-24 Rudiger Meyer: 10 Years
- 2014-11-20 Klint Finley: A New Service Will Help You Wrest Your Online Identity From Google (IndieHosters)
- 2014-10-21 Jeremy Keith: Indie web building blocks
- 2014-10-18 Ben Werdmüller: Webmention: an introduction for developers
- 2014-10-09 Craig Pilcher: The Indie Web
- 2014-09-24 Lillian Karabaic: The Indie Web is the new Zines
- 2014-09-17 Klint Finley: Out in the Open: A Blogging Tool That Lets You Actually Own What You Post on Facebook (Known)
- 2014-09-11 Mathew Ingram: IndieWeb advocates launch Known so bloggers can be social and still control their content
- 2014-09-04 Marco Raaphorst: Indie Web: wees eigenaar van jouw data (Dutch) "Indie Web: Be the owner of your data"
- 2014-09-03 Mathew Ingram: Don't like Facebook owning and controlling your content? Use tools that support the open Web
- 2014-08-22 Dan Gillmor: The New Editors of the Internet
- 2014-07-23 Ogilvy: The Indie Web – friend or foe?
- 2014-07-17 Tom Morris: You don't need to develop for the Worst Case Scenario
- 2014-07-07 Matthew Graybosch: Screw Digital Sharecropping. I’m Getting a Posse.
- 2014-07-03 Scott Rosenberg: IndieWeb and Respect Network: Two roads to decentralizing the network
- 2014-06-26 Scott Rosenberg: IndieWeb ho! A brief intro to a little movement with big ideas
- 2014-06-12 Russell Davies: The web idealists have a point: content can't truly blossom in walled gardens
- 2014-06-02 Peter Mollnar: Indieweb – decentralize the web while centralizing ourselves
- 2014-04-25 Dan Gillmor: Welcome to the Indie Web Movement
- 2014-03-26 Kartikprabhu.com: The Indieweb. or: how I learnt to stop worrying and love the blog
- 2014-03-25 The IndieWeb, Revolution, and Other Reasons You Should Learn to Code
- 2014-02-14 Caseorganic: Homebrew Website Club Newsletter Volume 2 Issue 3 - Portland Edition
- 2014-01-31 Jeena: IndieWeb; Join us! - Independent but together.
- 2014-01-26 Brad Feld: Stopping Writing For Other Web Sites
- 2014-01-16 Michael Bester: Online Homesteading
- 2013-12-12 Kevin Marks on the web that will win from #leweb
- 2013-11-04 Josh Johnston: The Power to Create
- 2013-09-26 Johannes Ernst: The IndieWeb community has it nailed: #selfdogfood
- 2013-09-16 Kevin Beynon: Webmentions and the REAL Social Web
- 2013-08-29 The New Statesman: The US government is taking your Facebook data. But it doesn't stop there
- 2013-08-21 Aral Balkan: Beware of geeks bearing gifts
- 2013-08-21 Tim's Weblog: Indie Web resources: Silos vs. an open Web
- 2013-08-18 Techcrunch: The Internet: We’re Doing It Wrong
- 2013-08-14 Wired: Meet the Hackers Who Want to Jailbreak the Internet
- 2013-08-13 Frédéric de Villamil: Is coding a blogging engine still worth the effort in 2013? and other thoughts about content publishing tools
- 2013-08-09 Marcus Povey: Lavabit and Silent Circle shut
- 2013-08-08 Ciara Byrne / Fast Company Labs: PRISM Break! How This Developer Created His Own Cloud
- 2013-08-08 Shane Becker : JSON-LD is an Unneeded Spec
- 2013-08-06 Aral Balkan: On owning your own data
- 2013-08-05 Laurent Eschenauer: Implementing "Prism Break"
- 2013-07-31 Kenneth Reitz: Why I Left Medium
- 2013-07-08 Matthias Pfefferle: Die Renaissance des Pingbacks (german)
- 2013-06-28 Bret Comnes : Indiewebcamp 2013 Roundup
- 2013-06-18 Matthias Pfefferle: The Rise of the IndieWeb (german)
- 2013-05-16 What's next Google? Dropping SMTP support?
- 2013-05-14 No More Sharecropping!
- 2013-04-19 The First Federated #Indieweb Comment Thread
- 2013-03-31 This is what email would have looked like if it were invented in the Web 2.0 era
- 2013-03-28 An Open Challenge to App.net
- 2013-03-14 On Silos vs an Open Social Web #indieweb
- 2012-12-21 XKCD: Instagram
- 2012-10-26 A critical look at decentralization
- 2012-10-22 Creating Content on the Indie Web (English, French translation)
- 2012-07-25 Why I have my own web site
- 2012-07-11 Movimientos hacia una web independiente (Spanish)
- 2012-03-29 Chopped up or Cloned: You Choose (English, French translation)
- 2012-01-24 Put Your Taproot Into the Independent Web by John Battelle
- 2012-01-20 The Future of Social Networking
- 2011-12-27 GigaOM: Open Web FTW by Matt Mullenweg. "I worry about the independent web..."
- 2011-09-25 Adrian Short: It's the end of the web as we know it
- 2011-07-30 Mark Hendrickson: Homesteading on the indie web
- 2011-07-08 Dawn Foster: The Indie Web: Who owns your identity?
- 2011-05-24 The Drum: Sir Tim Berners Lee claims Twitter is for “extreme” opinions
Lee outlined a future in which all social networks communicate with each other, ending today’s isolation on one platform.
- 2010-10-21 John Battelle: IDENTITY AND THE INDEPENDENT WEB
- 2010-11-07 Shane Becker: No More Sharecropping!
- 2010-11-09 Shane Becker: We Need a Twitter API Clone Ruby Gem
- 2009-02-04 Tantek Çelik: https://twitter.com/t/status/1178215444
use+make tools that host ur data+permalinks on ur domain. @adactio @briansuda @drewm b4 Steven Pemberton at XTech, og Blogger got this right
- 2002-11-13 Zeldman on the Independent Web
(Q.) How do you persuade people to fall in love? (A.) You don’t have to. The independent web takes care of itself because it fulfills basic human desires. The desire to connect. The desire to produce. The desire to enjoy content not mediated by corporations that can’t afford to produce anything less than a blockbuster. On the non-commercial web, an audience of 10,000 souls (or even a thousand) is meaningful.
- 2002-03-10 Independents Day: What happened in the past couple of years? / Chronology / SXSW_02:
On Sunday, 10 March 2002, INDEPENDENTS DAY presented three panels at the South by Southwest Interactive Festival (SXSW)[Tantek's first SXSW and attendance of these panels was one of his earliest sources of IndieWeb inspiration. He started blogging that August.]
- 2001-05-17 Independents Day Manifesto (launched)
- 1997-02-01 The Indie Web Manifesto